Chocolate crack cookies are rich and moist with a sweet powdered sugar coating that creates a crackle effect when you bake them. They're perfect for a family dessert or addition to any get-together.
These cookies are moist and delicious, and they look so pretty. They're just as much at home on your family's table as they are at a Christmas party or potluck.
Chocolate Crack Cookies
I love making crinkle cookies, and this recipe is one of my favorites to make. These moist cookies always bake up so deliciously, and the crinkle coating is as pretty as it is delicious.
You'll only need a few basic baking ingredients to make these cookies. You'll probably have most or all of them in your kitchen.
Chocolate Cracked Cookies
- brown sugar
- cocoa powder
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- powdered sugar
It only takes a few easy steps to make these tasty cookies.
Step 1: In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt your butter.
Step 2: Remove from heat and add your brown sugar and cocoa powder. Stir until completely blended together. Set aside until cool.
Step 3: Once cool, add eggs and stir until combined.
Step 4: Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until dough is uniform.
Step 5: Refrigerate dough for at least an hour.
Step 6: When ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350ºF.
Step 7: Place powdered sugar into a shallow bowl.
Step 8: Roll cooled dough into 1 1⁄2 - 2 inch balls.
Step 9: Roll each ball around in your powdered sugar until coated.
Step 10: Refrigerate your cookies for another 30 minutes.
Step 11: Place your cookies on a greased baking sheet.
Step 12: Bake for 10 minutes or until the cookies start to crack around the edges.
Step 13: Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the baking sheet and placing onto a wire rack. Enjoy!
You'll need a few basic pieces of kitchen equipment to make this recipe.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cookie sheet
- Cooling rack
Dark Brown Sugar: If you don't have brown sugar, dark brown sugar will work.
Shortening: If you don't have butter, shortening can be used in equal amounts.
Looking for ways to change up these chocolate crack cookies? Here are some suggestions.
Coffee: Add a splash of strong coffee to intensify the chocolate flavor.
Chocolate Chips: Mix chocolate chips into the batter to make a double chocolate version.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat before adding the brown sugar and cocoa powder. You want to mix the ingredients in, not cook them.
- Mix until the dough is just uniform. Don't overmix.
- Be sure you refrigerate the dough before baking to retain that rounded shape.
More Chocolate Recipes
Crack cookies are cookies that are coated with powdered sugar. The cookies bake up with a crackled appearance as they spread.
The powdered sugar causes the exterior of the cookie to dry out as it cooks, creating cracks as the interior expands.
They'll keep for about a week in a covered container at room temperature.
Chocolate Crack Cookies
Ready to cook these chocolate crack cookies? Then print the recipe card below.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt your butter.
- Remove from heat and add your brown sugar and cocoa powder. Stir until completely blended together. Set aside until cool.
- Once cool, add eggs and stir until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until dough is uniform.
- Refrigerate dough for at least an hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Place powdered sugar into a shallow bowl.
- Roll cooled dough into 1 1⁄2 - 2 inch balls.
- Roll each ball around in your powdered sugar until coated.
- Refrigerate your cookies for another 30 minutes.
- Place your cookies on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cookies start to crack around the edges.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the baking sheet and placing onto a wire rack. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 161Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 34mgSodium 144mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 1gSugar 16gProtein 2g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!