Every autumn, my family is basically obsessed with finding, picking, and baking with the perfect homegrown apples. Even now, I can smell the sweet, delicious scents that fill my home when I have a fresh apple dessert baking in the oven.
This recipe for Homemade Apple Bars is definitely one of my favorites! It is filled with tastes of fall, family, and love! I can’t wait for you to give it a try and overtake your home with the perfect scents of autumn!
Even though these Homemade Apple Bars will be amazing with any apples, I am definitely partial to the ones that my children and I can pick right off the tree. Homegrown apples are the perfect blend of sweet and tart!
Ice cream or a hot cup of coffee are a perfect match for these bars. They are sure to please everyone at your next gathering! Now, let’s roll up our sleeves and begin! Before you know it, you will be pulling these delicious Homemade Apple Bars from your oven, sure to bring a smile to everyone’s face!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup softened shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 7 sliced apples
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons tapioca
- 1 egg white
- white sugar
- To prepare crust, blend flour, shortening, and salt together. Put aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix egg yolk and milk together.
- When blended well, add this to the flour mixture, creating a uniform dough.
- Divide dough in half, setting one half aside.
- Roll the other half out on a floured surface to fit into a greased 11"x17" cookie sheet. Set aside.
- To prepare the filling, mix apples, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and flour. When mixed, pour over crust.
- Sprinkle tapioca evenly over the filling.
- Roll out the remaining dough the size of your cookie sheet and place it on top of the apple mixture.
- After whipping the egg white, brush it on over top of the crust.
- Sprinkle sugar over top of the crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until crust is a golden brown.