This spinach artichoke dip with bacon takes classic artichoke dip to a new level with the addition of smoky, crispy bacon. It's a favorite dip that's even better than the original.
Artichoke dip is one of the classics when it comes to party food. You won't attend a party anywhere that doesn't have this iconic dip. I'm a big fan of creamy spinach artichoke dip, especially when I add my secret ingredient - bacon!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It only uses a handful of simple ingredients.
- It's easy to make and comes together in a snap.
- It has all the rich, creamy flavor of spinach artichoke dip with an extra kick of crispy bacon.
Be sure you cook your bacon and onions over medium heat to get crispy bacon without burning the onions and garlic.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe that are readily available at your local grocery store. See the recipe card at the end of the post for exact amounts.
- Bacon, diced
- Onion, diced
- Minced garlic
- Artichoke hearts, chopped
- Cream cheese, softened
- Sour cream
- Fresh spinach, finely chopped
- Worcestershire sauce
Although this recipe is fully-homemade, it's very easy. It only takes a few minutes and a few easy steps. The highlights are below, but you'll find the complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
1: Cooked the bacon, onions, and garlic until the bacon is crispy and the onions are tender.
2: Add the artichoke hearts and cook until heated through. Drain the grease and set the mixture aside.
3: Cream the cream cheese and sour cream. Then, add the Worcestershire sauce and chopped spinach.
4: Add the bacon artichoke mixture, stir, and enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
- Use thawed and drained chopped frozen spinach in place of fresh.
- You can use full-fat Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. They taste almost the same.
- Use your favorite variety of bacon for this dip.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Cutting board
Refrigerator: Store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
Freezer: This dip isn't suitable for freezing. It will break when defrosted, becoming watery and grainy.
What to Serve with Artichoke Dip
Serve this dip with all your favorite dipping items like:
- Potato chips
- Tortilla chips
- Pita chips
- Raw veggies
- Cook your bacon, onion, and garlic mixture on heat no higher than medium. This allows the bacon to get crispy without the onions and garlic burning.
- Drain your artichoke hearts well to ensure a dip that isn't watery.
- If using frozen spinach, fully defrost is, drain it, then press it between two paper towels to remove at much moisture as possible.
The dip is made with both cream cheese and sour cream, both of which don't freeze well. Sour cream, in particular, will break when defrosted, leading to a watery, grainy dip.
You probably didn't drain either your artichoke hearts or frozen spinach well enough. Both must be drained as thoroughly as possible to remove excess moisture.
While the dip was invented in the 30s, it saw mass popularity in the 50s. While we serve it as an appetizer today, artichoke dip was originally a popular family dinner around the television in the 50s.
More delicious recipes
- 10 slices bacon, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 can (14 oz) artichoke hearts, chopped
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, finely chopped OR 12 oz frozen chopped spinach (drained)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- In a large skillet, saute diced bacon, diced onion, and minced garlic over medium heat. Cook until bacon is crispy and onions are tender.
- Add chopped artichoke hearts to skillet and cook for an additional minute. Remove from heat, drain grease off, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sour cream together.
- Add chopped spinach and Worcestershire sauce and stir again.
- Add bacon mixture and stir well.
- Serve with pita chips, pretzels, or small bread slices.
Amount Per Serving Calories 307Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 68mgSodium 543mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 13g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!