Garlic Grilled Cheese
This garlic grilled cheese will have you begging for more. Ooey, gooey melted cheese is sandwiched between two slices of garlicky, buttery, toasted bread.
I love garlic bread, and I love grilled cheese sandwiches, so I decided to combine them. Oh, boy, am I glad I did! These sandwiches are like a perfect marriage of cheesy garlic bread and grilled cheese. They are so good, you have to try them to believe it.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It takes less than a handful of simple ingredients to make.
- It's a super simple recipe that's so easy to make.
- It's the perfect combination of garlic toast and grilled cheese!
Cook your grilled cheese over medium-low heat to ensure a golden, toasted finished product rather than something that's burned.
You'll only need a handful of simple ingredients to make this recipe. See the recipe card at the end of the post for specific amounts.
- Cheese slices
- Softened butter
- Minced garlic
- Garlic salt
Outside of the added garlic, this is a basic grilled cheese recipe, which means it's super easy to make. The overview is below, but you'll find the specific instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
1: Mix the butter, minced garlic, and garlic salt together.
2: Place 2 slices of garlic buttered bread on a skillet and top with cheese, then top with more buttered bread.
3: Cook until golden, then flip and cook the other side until golden.
Substitutions and Variations
- Used jarred minced garlic if you don't want to mince your own.
- You can omit the minced garlic and simply use garlic powder.
- Use your favorite bread and cheese for this recipe.
- Cutting board
- Butter knife
Refrigerator: Store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
Freezer: Store in an air-tight container for up to 6 weeks.
Reheat: Place the sandwiches on a rimmed baking sheet coated with nonstick spray. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. For frozen grilled cheese, bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes, flipping the sandwiches halfway through cooking.
What to Serve with Grilled Cheese
Of course, you probably think of tomato soup when you think of grilled cheese pairings, but there’s so much more you can try. Check out the ideas here in my what to serve with grilled cheese post.
- You only need enough butter to coat the bread lightly. If you add too much butter, the bread will get soggy.
- Keep the heat to medium at the highest so the bread toasts instead of burns.
- If you choose thicker bread, reduce the heat, as the heat will have to transfer through the thicker bread to melt the cheese, which means a longer cook time.
Stick to medium heat or lower. This ensures that the heat has plenty of time to melt the cheese without burning the bread.
The biggest things to remember are softened butter and medium-low heat. Softened butter won't rip the bread and medium-low heat won't burn it.
They're a product of the Great Depression. During that time, families made open-faced grilled cheese sandwiches as cheap meals that could feed the entire family.
More Delicious Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Garlic Grilled Cheese
This garlic grilled cheese combines what is essentially garlic toast with a cheesy center to make an ooey, gooey garlic grilled cheese feast.
- 4 slices of bread
- Cheese slices (enough to cover two pieces of bread, I used sharp cheddar)
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat.
- In a small bowl, mix butter, minced garlic, and garlic salt together.
- Butter one side of all pieces of bread and place two of them on your heated skillet, butter-side down.
- Place slices of cheese on both pieces of bread, completely covering them.
- Place remaining pieces of bread on top, buttered-side up.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the bottom piece of bread is golden brown.
- Flip sandwiches and continue toasting for 4-5 minutes or until the other piece of bread is a golden brown.
- Remove from skillet cut in half, and serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 327Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 44mgSodium 884mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 9g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!