Banana cream puffs are rich, delicious, and easier to make than you think. These homemade cream puffs are the perfect dessert or snack. Dig in!
The thought of making cream puffs might be intimidating to you, but don't let these fancy-looking treats fool you. They're not hard to make at all! In fact, even beginners can make these deceptively easy and uncommonly delicious cream puffs.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- They're easy and delicious.
- They only use simple ingredients.
- They look so fancy!
- Everyone loves banana cream and chocolate!
Be sure to use low heat when mixing your dough on the stovetop. Be gentle with it!
This recipe only uses a few simple ingredients for cream puff, banana filling, and topping. The ones that really make this recipe pop are below, but you can find the complete ingredient list with amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- All-purpose flour
- Softened cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Whipping cream
- Melted unsweetened chocolate
While these banana cream puffs are fully homemade, they're not nearly as difficult as you might think. I'm covering the highlights below, but you can find the complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
1: Bring water and butter to a boil in a saucepan, then add the flour and salt. Stir over low heat until it forms a ball.
2: Remove from the heat and mix in the eggs one at a time.
3: Drop scoopfuls of dough onto a greased baking sheet and bake until golden brown. Cool completely.
4: Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Reserve 1/2 cup for chocolate ganache.
5: Beat heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form, then fold the whipped cream and sliced bananas into the cream cheese mixture.
6: Cut cream puffs in half, spread on the mixture, and replace the tops.
7: Combine melted chocolate, sugar, milk, and reserved cream cheese mixture to make the ganache.
8: Spoon ganache on top of cream puffs and enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
- Heavy Whipping Cream: You can use Cool Whip instead.
- Chocolate Ganache: You can simply use chocolate frosting if you like.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Whisk or wooden spoon
- Mixing bowls
Refrigerator: Store in a covered container for up to 3 days.
Freezer: Store in an air-tight container, unfrosted, for up to a month.
What to Serve with Cream Puffs
Cream puffs are delicious when served with some coffee or even dessert wine. They make great appetizers, as well. They're also excellent desserts to serve after a fancy dinner. They're so beloved, you really can't go wrong with them.
- It's very important to keep the heat low when mixing your flour and water into a ball. You want to keep it warm, not cook it or burn it.
- Stop whipping your cream as soon as stiff peaks form. Overwhipping will cause it to collapse.
Yes. They're meant to be crispy and crunchy.
It's a light, airy, and crispy French pastry ball filled with whipped cream, custard, pastry cream, or even ice cream.
The main differences are the shape and the filling. Cream puffs are round and filled with whipped cream, pastry, cream, or custard. A cream puff is long and always filled with custard.
More Sweet Treats
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 - 8 oz blocks cream cheese, softened
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Bring water and butter to boil in saucepan.
- Add flour and salt. Stir continuously over low heat until mixture forms a ball.Remove from heat.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Drop ten ½ cupfuls of dough on lightly greased baking sheet to form a 9-inch ring.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from baking sheet immediately and place on rack.
- Allow puffs to cool.
- To prepare cream filling, combine cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, and vanilla. Mix until well blended.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat heavy whipping cream until peaks form. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Set aside ½ cup cream cheese mixture for chocolate ganache.
- Fold whipped cream and bananas into remaining cream cheese mixture. Chill.
- Carefully cut top from puffs. Fill with whipped banana cream mixture. Replace top.
- To make chocolate ganache topping, add remaining sugar, melted chocolate, and milk to ½ cup of cream cheese mixture. Mix well.
- Place a scoop of chocolate ganache on top of each cream puff.
Amount Per Serving Calories 501Total Fat 37gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 172mgSodium 312mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 1gSugar 22gProtein 8g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!