This ground beef and hash brown casserole is a hearty, filling dish that fills you up right! Loaded with ground beef, mixed vegetables, cheese, and potatoes, this dish is perfect for feeding your family or bringing to your next potluck.
I'm a mom, so you already know I love casseroles. They're so easy, hearty, and filling. They're also budget-friendly, which makes them even more appealing. With a recipe like this one, you can easily feed a family of big eaters or satisfy everyone at your next party. And you can do it with ease!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It only uses a few simple ingredients.
- It's budget-friendly, making a mountain of food with a molehill of cash.
- It's a hearty dish that satisfies even the biggest eaters.
- It's full of classic ingredients that everyone always loves.
Don't defrost your hash browns before making the casserole. They'll defrost and cook as the casserole bakes.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients that you can find in your kitchen or at your local grocery store. Like any good casserole, this dish only uses the basics!
All the ingredients you need are listed below, but you'll find the exact amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Ground beef
- Chopped onions
- Garlic powder
- Shredded frozen hash browns
- Frozen vegetables
- Shredded cheese, divided
- Cream of chicken
- Cream of mushroom
This recipe only takes a few simple steps to make, and it will have you in and out of the kitchen in no time. There's really very little to it.
The recipe highlights are right here, but you'll find the specific instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
1: Cook the ground beef, onions, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a greased medium skillet until the beef is cooked through and the onions are transparent. Drain.
2: Combine the hash browns, vegetables, and shredded cheese in a large bowl.
3: Stir in the cream soups and the ground beef mixture.
4: Transfer to a baking dish and top with the remaining cheese.
5: Cover with foil and bake until hot. Then, remove the foil and continue baking until the cheese is bubbly.
Substitutions and Variations
- You can make this casserole with ground turkey if you prefer.
- Make a Tex-Mex version with chorizo sausage, diced jalapenos, and taco or Mexican cheese blends.
- Use your favorite melty cheese for this recipe. They all work!
- Add a kick of heat with some red pepper flakes.
- Can opener
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 9x13 casserole dish
Refrigerator: Store this casserole in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
Freezer: Store this casserole in an air-tight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Reheat: Cover and bake in an oven-safe dish at 350 until heated through.
What to Serve with Ground Beef and Hash Brown Casserole
This casserole is a hearty main dish that's as filling as it is delicious. I like to keep things simple and serve it with:
- Crusty bread and butter
- Garlic bread
- Garlic knots
- Simple side salad
- Always drain your ground beef to avoid a greasy casserole. Even lean ground beef will render some fat while it cooks.
- Don't defrost your hash browns. They'll become overcooked and mushy if defrosted before baking.
- Remember to grease your baking dish before adding your casserole to avoid sticking.
- Cook your beef until it's no longer pink an no further. Overcooked ground beef is rubbery and flavorless.
In almost all cases, the answer is no. The hash browns will defrost and then cook perfectly while the casserole bakes.
It's easy to tell if your ground beef is done. It's fully cooked when it's no longer pink.
The beauty of this casserole is that the beef is already cooked, and frozen vegetables are blanched before being frozen. Just bake the casserole according to the time specified, and it will be done!
More Main Dish Recipes
- 1 lb ground beef
- ¼ cups chopped onions
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 4 cups shredded frozen hash browns
- 12 oz frozen vegetables
- 2 cups shredded cheese, divided
- 10.5 oz cream of chicken
- 10.5 oz cream of mushroom
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a greased medium skillet, add ground beef, onions, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Cook until beef is cooked through and onions are transparent.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine hash browns, vegetables, and 1 cup shredded cheese. Stir well.
- Add ground beef mixture, cream of chicken, and cream of mushroom. Stir well.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 9-13-inch baking dish.
- Top with remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is completely melted and bubbly.
Amount Per Serving Calories 525Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 83mgSodium 962mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 5gSugar 3gProtein 27g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!