Slow cooker taco chicken and rice is an easy, delicious Tex-Mex feast the entire family will love. It's loaded with chicken, bell peppers, onions, rice, taco seasoning, and of course, cheese!
I love Tex-Mex and Mexican flavors, and I love them even more when I can whip them up into an easy recipe. This delicious slow cooker chicken and rice is super simple to make and fully loaded with delicious taco flavor. It's a big favorite around here.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It only uses simple ingredients, most of which are probably in your kitchen right now.
- It's an easy recipe that requires almost no work.
- It's full of zesty taco flavors, rice, and cheese, and everyone always loves it.
This is a super easy recipe with almost no moving parts. The biggest tip is to remember to spray the slow cooker vessel with non-stick spray.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this dish. They're pantry staples, but anything you don't have is going to be at your grocery store. The major ingredients are listed below, but you'll find the full list along with amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cut into bite sized chunks
- Onion chopped
- Bell peppers, chopped
- Diced tomatoes, not drained
- Long grain rice uncooked
- Chicken broth
- Taco seasoning
- Cheese shredded
This is a slow cooker recipe, so you already know it's easy. Check out the overview here, then refer to the recipe card at the end of the post for the full instructions.
1: Add all ingredients except the cheese, stir, and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
2: Top with cheese, replace the lid, and cook until the cheese is melted.
Substitutions and Variations
- You can make this with turkey, pork, or beef.
- Use brown rice in place of white rice, if you prefer.
- Taco blend and Mexican blend cheeses work well in this recipe.
- Give it a kick of heat with diced jalapenos.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
- Can opener
- Slow cooker
Refrigerator: Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Freezer: Store for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
Reheat: Place the taco chicken and rice in a baking dish with a bit of water. Then, cover and bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
What to Serve with Taco Chicken and Rice
Serve this dish with garlic bread, a salad, or any of your favorite Mexican sides like:
- Mexican corn bread
- Elote casserole
- Always spray your slow cooker with non-stick spray to prevent burning.
- Cut your chicken into bite-sized chunks.
- Long-grain rice is best for this recipe to avoid gumminess.
It's an easy Mexican-inspired dish combining chicken, rice, vegetables, and taco seasoning in the slow cooker.
Slow cooker heats vary a bit. If your rice came out mushy in this recipe, chances are your slow cooker runs hotter than the one I use. Next time, take a look at the rice a few minutes before the recipe is done to gauge doneness.
After 3 to 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low, there's no need to worry that the chicken in this recipe is done. If you're cooking chicken for another recipe, however, the best way is to use a meat thermometer. The chicken is done when the temperature reads 165 degrees.
Other Delicious Chicken Recipes
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 large peppers chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 cup long grain rice uncooked
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 pkg (1 oz) taco seasoning blend or 3 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cheese shredded
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place chicken breasts on the bottom of slow cooker.
- Sprinkle onions and peppers over top.
- Add diced tomatoes, rice, broth, Taco seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Stir until blended.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Sprinkle cheese over top before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 206Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 33mgSodium 1046mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 10g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!