Red chicken is a classic dish full of sweet and tangy flavors that everyone loves. Tender, juicy chicken, onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms are cooked to perfection and served over rice. So good!
Red chicken is one of my favorite ways to prepare chicken. I just love that sweet and tangy combo of ketchup, garlic, onions, and peppers. It's a flavor that always makes my mouth happy, and my family feels the same way.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It uses simple ingredients that are probably in your kitchen right now.
- It's a quick and easy meal that's perfect for any night of the week.
- It's a sweet and tangy chicken dish that everyone always loves.
Don't overcook your vegetables. Remove them as soon as they're tender. This is not a recipe that requires cooking them down to super soft.
This ingredient list is super simple. You probably have everything you need in your kitchen right now, in fact. The main ingredients for this recipe are listed below, but you'll find the full ingredient list along with amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Garlic, minced
- Yellow onion, sliced
- Sliced sweet peppers (red, orange, or yellow)
- Fresh mushrooms, sliced
Making this recipe is just as easy as gathering up your ingredients. It's quick and easy! The highlights are below, but be sure to check out the recipe card at the end of the post for the exact instructions.
1: Cook the vegetables over medium heat until tender. Set aside.
2: Toss the chicken with flour, season with salt and pepper, and cook until browned.
3: Add garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
4: Add ketchup and heat until bubbly, then add the vegetables and heat until hot.
5: Serve over rice or pasta and enjoy.
Substitutions and Variations
- Use thigh meat if you prefer.
- You can make this dish with turkey or pork.
- Add diced jalapenos or red pepper flakes for a kick of heat.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
- Wooden spoon
Refrigerator: Store for up to 3 days in an air-tight container.
Freezer: Store for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
Reheat: Place the red chicken in a saucepan over medium-low heat and cook until heated through.
What to Serve with Red Chicken
This delicious chicken is perfect when served on a bed of rice or noodles. You can also add a few more of your favorite vegetables on the side and maybe some bread and butter or garlic bread.
- Cook your vegetables until tender and no further. You don't want them mushy.
- Your chicken should be cut into 1-inch cubes for ease of eating.
- Remember that after adding the vegetables and ketchup, you're essentially just heating everything through. Don't overcook the dish.
Red chicken is a Chinese dish made with boneless skinless chicken that's cut into bite-size pieces, dredged in flour, and fried until crispy. Then, it's topped with a red sauce.
You overcooked them. They should be cooked until they just become tender. Don't cook them down.
Cubed chicken like this should be done by the time it's golden brown on all sides. To be totally sure, use a meat thermometer. When chicken reaches 165 degrees, it's finished.
More Chicken Recipes
This delicious red chicken recipe is sweet, tangy and loaded with tender chicken, onions, mushrooms, and bell peppers.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced sweet peppers (red, orange, or yellow)
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Place 2 tablespoons of oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Allow oil to heat up for 2 minutes.
- Add onions, mushrooms and peppers. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender, stirring often. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in the same large skillet over medium heat.
- While oil is heating, place chicken chunks in a bowl and sprinkle flour over top. Toss the chicken until all pieces are coated with flour.
- Add breaded chicken to your prepared skillet.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir often until chicken is lightly browned and thoroughly cooked.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add garlic and stir for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add ketchup and stir until ketchup starts to bubble. Ketchup may darken slightly.
- Add vegetables and allow them to reheat.
- Serve over rice or pasta.
Amount Per Serving Calories 285Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 72mgSodium 628mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 2gSugar 9gProtein 29g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!
I love your recipe for red chicken! The combination of ketchup, garlic, onions, and peppers is always a winner in my book. Plus, it's great that this recipe uses simple ingredients that are probably already in my kitchen. Your tip to not overcook the vegetables is a great reminder, as it's so easy to do. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe!