This chocolate French toast is choco-licious on every level. The simple egg mixture features the addition of cocoa for a deep, chocolate flavor, and after cooking, the French toast is stuffed with more chocolate!
French toast already feels like dessert for breakfast, so I decided to take that idea all the way. I made this chocolate French toast that's loaded with chocolate on every level, including in between the French toast layers!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It only takes a handful of simple ingredients to make.
- It's full of ultra-rich chocolate flavor.
- It's a delicious spin on classic French toast that everyone will love.
Dip your bread in the egg mixture for about 5 seconds. This gives it time to soak up that delicious flavor, but it won't leave it in the mixture for so long that it gets soggy and breaks.
It only takes a few basic kitchen staples to make this recipe. You probably won't even have to shop for them. Be sure to check out the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
- White bread
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Milk chocolate chips
This is a very straightforward recipe to make, as most French toast recipes are. It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps. The highlights are listed here, but you'll find the exact instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
1: Combine all the wet ingredients and the cocoa powder.
2: Dip the bread into the egg mixture and cook on low-medium until golden brown.
3: Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, then spread melted chocolate over one slice of French toast and top with another. Enjoy with your favorite toppings!
Substitutions and Variations
- Use your favorite kind of mild-tasting bread like challah, brioche, hearty white, or buttermilk.
- Try spreading Nutella on the French toast instead of melted chocolate chips.
- Use semi-sweet, dark, milk, or even white chocolate chips for the filling.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Microwaveable bowl
Refrigerator: Store in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
Freezer: Store in an air-tight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Reheat: Place the French toast slices on a greased baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 6 to 8 minutes at 400 degrees, flipping halfway through.
What to Serve with French Toast
This delicious chocolate French toast is perfect as a sweet start to the day with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee. For a larger breakfast spread, you can also pair it with your favorite savory breakfast options like:
- Only soak your bread long enough for it to absorb enough of the egg mixture. It will fall apart if it gets soggy.
- Low-medium heat is best for French toast that's fully cooked through and golden on the outside.
- If you use thicker, heartier bread, you might have to soak it a bit longer. Just be careful that it doesn't get soggy!
Not at all. It's a North American dish invented by a man named French. He was going to call it French's toast, named after his last name. However, his grasp of grammar was so abysmal that he forgot the apostrophe.
It should be crispy and golden on the outside. If you didn't soak it too much and you cooked it on low-medium heat, it will be perfect.
If you soak your bread for too long, it will get soggy and rip very easily.
More Tasty Recipes
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Begin heating a large skillet over low-medium heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk, sugar, and cocoa powder together. It will take a bit to incorporate the cocoa powder.
- Dredge each slice in the egg mixture, allowing it to soak for about 5 seconds.
- Allow excess egg mixture to drip off and place dredged slices in your heated, greased skillet.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals until they are completely melted. Stir often.
- Spread a layer of chocolate in between two pieces of French toast to create a sandwich.
- Serve with toppings of your choice. (fruit, syrup, whipped cream, etc.)
Amount Per Serving Calories 504Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 197mgSodium 416mgCarbohydrates 65gFiber 4gSugar 32gProtein 16g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!