Strawberry Banana Cake
This strawberry banana cake is rich, moist, tender, and full of mashed bananas and strawberry pieces. Then, it's all topped with a decadent cream cheese buttercream frosting.
This delicious cake is super moist and tender thanks to all the mashed bananas in the batter. It's also extra sweet because it's stuffed full of diced strawberries! It's one of my go-to cakes for almost any occasion, and once you try it, you'll feel the same way.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- You probably have every one of its simple ingredients in your kitchen right now!
- It's an easy cake recipe that comes together quickly.
- The cream cheese buttercream frosting is rich and decadent.
- The mashed bananas add intense flavor and make the cake super moist.
The riper the bananas, the better the flavor. Unless the banans have mold on them, they CANNOT be too ripe!
Every ingredient needed for this cake is a kitchen staple. Even if you don't have all of them - which is unlikely - they're all available at our local grocery store. Be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
- Ripe mashed bananas
- Ground cinnamon
- Lemon juice
- Butter, softened
- Brown sugar
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Fresh diced strawberries, divided
- Chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- Butter, softened
- Cream cheese, softened
- Powdered sugar
This cake comes together quickly and easily. Even beginners can do it! The highlights are listed here, but you'll find the exact instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
1: Combine mashed bananas, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Set aside.
2: Cream the sugar and butter, and mix in the remaining batter ingredients.
3: Combine the batter with the mashed bananas, diced strawberries, and nuts.
4: Bake until a toothpick comes out clean.
5: Combine the frosting ingredients and beat until creamy and smooth.
6: Spread the frosting evenly over the fully-cooled cake and top with diced strawberries and chopped pecans.
Substitutions and Variations
- For an even more tender cake, use cake flour.
- If you don't have buttermilk, combine 1 cup of regular milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Chopped walnuts are delicious in this cake.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Baking dish
Refrigerator: Store in a covered container for up to 3 days. The cake and frosting will last for up to a week, but the strawberries on top won't.
Freezer: Store for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container. Place in the refrigerator overnight to defrost.
Make Ahead: You can make this cake a few hours to a day in advance, depending on if you prefer room temperature or chilled cake.
What to Serve with Cake
A glass of milk or a cup of coffee are both perfect with this cake. It's also delicious served with fresh fruit or your other favorite sweet treats as part of a larger dessert tablesetting.
- Be sure your cake is fully cooled before frosting.
- Fully soften your butter and cream cheese for the smoothest possible frosting.
- For the best cake texture and crumb, fully soften your butter and bring your eggs and buttermilk to room temperature before mixing.
Bananas can replace eggs, butter, or oil in recipes. They can also be added in addition to those ingredients for an extra moist final product.
No, although they taste very similar. Banana bread is firmer and denser, while banana cake is lighter and has a traditional cake texture.
NO! Unless the banana has mold on it, it cannot be too ripe. In fact, the best bananas for baking are those with a skin that's turned black. They're gross on their own, but sooo good in breads and cakes.
More Tasty Sweet Treats
Strawberry Banana Cake
This easy strawberry banana cake is moist, tender, and full of strawberry and banana flavor. And it's all topped with decadent frosting!
- Cake Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups ripe mashed bananas
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups fresh diced strawberries, divided
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Prepare a 9x13 baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars together.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beat well, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Add buttermilk and beat again.
- Add banana mixture and 1 1/2 cups diced strawberries. With a spoon, stir until incorporated.
- Add 3/4 cup pecans and stir again.
- Transfer batter to your prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare frosting, butter, cream cheese, and powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake.
- Top with remaining pecans and diced strawberries.
Amount Per Serving Calories 395Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 63mgSodium 293mgCarbohydrates 55gFiber 2gSugar 40gProtein 4g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!