Air fryer catfish nuggets give you all the flavor and texture of traditional fried catfish without any grease or messy cleanup. These delicious nuggets are golden and crispy on the outside and flaky on the inside.
I love fried catfish. It's a guilty pleasure that I've enjoyed for decades. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to enjoy it as much as I would have liked because I also like living! That's why I love this air fryer version that gives me all the flavor and texture of fried catfish that I love so much without all the grease.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It only uses a few simple ingredients.
- It's an easy recipe that's ready in no time.
- It has all the flavor and texture of traditional fried catfish with no grease.
Gently tap the fish between each dredging for the perfect coating.
You'll only need a handful of simple ingredients to make this recipe, and you can find them all at your local grocery store. You probably have some of them in your kitchen right now. Be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact amounts.
- Catfish filets, thawed
- All-purpose flour
- Panko crumbs
- Garlic powder
These air fryer catfish nuggets are made in almost the same way as traditional fried catfish. You'll just use an air fryer for the cooking and a slightly different coating. It's an easy recipe that only takes a few minutes.
The highlights are here, but be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact instructions.
1: Coat the catfish nuggets in flour, egg, and panko.
2: Air fry until golden.
Substitutions and Variation
- Use your favorite white fish for this recipe.
- Season the panko with your favorite seasonings.
- For a kick of heat, add red pepper flakes or cayenne to the mixture.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
- Small bowls
- Air fryer
Refrigerator: Store in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
Freezer: Store in an air-tight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Reheat: Place the nuggets on an oven-safe baking dish lined with aluminum foil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until heated through.
What to Serve with Fried Fish
These fried catfish nuggets have all the flavor and texture of traditionally fried fish. As such, they are perfect with all your perfect fried fish sides. Try:
- French fries
- Baked potatoes
- Mac and cheese
- Gently tap the fish between each dredge to ensure the proper coating.
- When cutting the catfish up, place it on a paper towel to absorb excess liquid.
- Gently pat the fish nuggets dry before dredging them.
Absolutely. Air fried fish is flaky and juicy, and the coating gets very crispy in the air fryer.
Air frying food is extremely healthy. It uses little to no oil, so it's heart-healthy, and cleanup is easy thanks to the absence of any grease!
You sure can! Any of your favorite white fish will work for this recipe.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- 2 lbs catfish filets, thawed
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Cut catfish filets into 1-inch chunks. Lay them on a plate lined with paper towel to absorb any liquid from them.
- Place flour in one bowl, eggs (whisked) in another bowl, and panko crumbs, garlic powder and salt in a third bowl.
- Coat each piece of catfish in flour (shaking off the excess), dredge them in egg, and finally coat them in the panko mixture.
- Place breaded pieces into your greased air fryer basket in a single layer. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may have to cook in batches.
- Air fryer at 400º for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through. Breading should turn golden brown and fish should be flaky.
Amount Per Serving Calories 267Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 121mgSodium 543mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 25g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!