Chili cheese tater tot hot dog casserole takes chili cheese dogs and tater tots and smashes them together into one delicious casserole that has all the flavors of summer in every bite!
If you're an American, the chances are high that you've had a plate of chili cheese dogs with tater tots. It's a classic combo that almost everyone knows and loves. I took that combo and turned it into this amazing casserole, and I can't wait for you to try it!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It only takes a handful of simple ingredients to make.
- It's an easy casserole that's family-friendly for all ages.
- It combines the classic flavors of chili cheese dogs and tater tots!
You don't have to defrost the tater tots before adding them to the casserole.
It only takes four ingredients to make this recipe. That's right, four. You'll be in and out of the grocery store in just a few minutes. That's if you have to shop at all! Be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
- Hot dogs, sliced
- Chili, homemade or canned
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Frozen tater tots
All you have to do for this casserole is layer and bake. It's done in a flash. The highlights are here, but you'll find the exact instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
1: Layer the hot dogs, chili, cheese, tater tots, and more cheese in a baking dish.
2: Bake until the tots are cooked and the cheese is melted. Enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
- Use your favorite hot dog brand for this recipe.
- You can use any kind of chili you like for this recipe. They all work.
- Try adding a thick layer of frozen hashbrowns to the top of the casserole in place of tater tots.
- For a spicy version, add diced jalapenos to the chili.
- Measuring cup
- 9x13 baking dish
Refrigerator: Store for up to 4 days in an air-tight container.
Freezer: Store for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
Reheat: Bake at 350 for 20 minutes until heated through and the cheese is bubbly.
What to Serve with Chili Cheese Dog Tater Tot Casserole
This casserole is a mashup of two summertime favorites, and as such, it's best served with classic summertime sides. Try pairing it with:
- Mac and cheese
- Baked beans
- Potato salad
- Pasta salad
- Slice your hot dogs about 1/3 to 1/2-inch thickness for the best results.
- Don't defrost your tater tots before adding them to the casserole.
- Spray your baking dish with nonstick spray before layering the casserole ingredients.
Traditional hot dog chili is smooth, containing only meat and no beans.
No one really knows. Some say that early Greek immigrants to the Brooklyn area created the precursor to chili dogs in the 1910s. However, a man in Ohio claimed to have invented chili cheese dogs in 1922, while another in Los Angeles claimed to have invented them in 1939.
Nathan's hot dogs are consistently voted as the best hot dogs.
More Easy Dinners
- 12-16 hot dogs, sliced
- 4 cups chili, homemade or canned
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 32 oz frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Prepare 9x13-inch baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray.
- Put sliced hot dogs in baking dish.
- Cover hot dogs with chili.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese over chili.
- Make rows of tater tots, covering the entire pan.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 448Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 68mgSodium 1103mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 18g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!