Rhubarb custard bars are sweet, tangy, and so full of flavor. A delicious strawberry rhubarb custard is topped with a cinnamon sugar crumble and baked to golden brown perfection.
If you love rhubarb desserts, then you're in for a big, big treat. These delicious bars are one part dessert bar, one part crumble dessert, and all delicious. It's an easy recipe that delivers an explosion of flavor in every bite.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It uses basic baking ingredients that you already have in your kitchen.
- It's a simple recipe that even beginners can make easily.
- It's loaded with sweet and tangy strawberry rhubarb custard and an oatmeal crumble topping.
- It's a fantastic summer dessert.
Wait until you're ready to make the bars before washing your strawberries. This helps prevent them from getting soggy or moldy.
You'll only need a few basic ingredients to make this recipe. Outside of the rhubarb, everything you need is probably in your kitchen right now. Be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact amounts.
- Eggs, beaten
- Chopped rhubarb
- Sliced strawberries
- Butter, melted
- Brown sugar
These bars come together quickly and easily. You'll be in and out of the kitchen in no time. The highlight are here, but see the recipe card at the end of the post for the exact instructions.
1: Combine all the rhubarb custard ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
2: Transfer to a greased baking dish.
3: Combine all topping ingredients.
4: Spread the topping evenly over the custard and bake until golden brown and set.
Substitutions and Variations
- Use your favorite berries in place of strawberries.
- For richer custard, use a mixture of milk and heavy cream or use half and half.
- Try adding chopped pecans to the crumble topping.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- 13x9 baking dish
- Cutting board
Refrigerator: Store for up to 4 days in an air-tight container.
Freezer: Store for up to a month in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
Reheat: Bake at 350 until heated through or microwave individual pieces at 30-second intervals until hot.
What to Serve with Rhubarb Custard Bars
These bars are perfect with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee or tea. I also love topping them with whipped cream or a dollop of whipped cream or Cool Whip.
- Cut your rhubarb into small, bite-size pieces so they get nice and soft while baking.
- Clean and slice your strawberries just before mixing them into the custard for best results.
- Mix your topping thoroughly so all the ingredients fully combine. It's easy to end up with little pockets of dry ingredients if you aren't careful.
Rhubarb has extremely high levels of malic acid, the substance that makes many fruits and vegetables have a sour taste.
Many people think that rhubarb will make you sick to your stomach, but actually, it's the leaves of the plant, not the stalk that we eat, that does that. Eating the stalks is perfectly safe.
Yes, rhubarb leaves are highly toxic and should not be eaten.
On its own, rhubarb is far too sour for most people to enjoy. However, when paired with a sweet fruit and the extra sugar in desserts, rhubarb makes a sweet and tangy treat that many people enjoy.
Other Fruity Recipes
- Base Ingredients:
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup flour
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- Topping Ingredients:
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beaten eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar, salt, and flour.
- Stir in rhubarb and strawberries.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Prepare topping by combining butter, flour, brown sugar, and oatmeal.
- Place pieces of the topping mixture on top of the base mixture, almost covering it completely.
- Bake for 65-75 minutes or until topping is golden brown and center is set.
Amount Per Serving Calories 261Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 60mgSodium 133mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 1gSugar 34gProtein 3g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!