Slow Cooker Chicken Paprikash
Slow cooker chicken paprikash is a modern twist on the classic Hungarian dish. A creamy tomato sauce, tender white meat chicken, veggies, and more combined to create a rich, hearty chicken meal the entire family will love.
Chicken paprikash, or paprika chicken, is one of my favorite dishes to make. It's so easy and so hearty. It's also full of flavor, but there's nothing fancy, which means everyone in the family will enjoy it - even kids!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It only uses simple ingredients that you can find at any grocery store.
- It's a rich, hearty chicken dish even picky eaters will enjoy.
- It's so easy to make. The slow cooker does all the heavy lifting!
Be sure to drizzle the bottom of the slow cooker with olive oil. This not only adds some flavor, but it also ensures that the ingredients won't stick.
You'll only need a few basic ingredients to make this recipe. Most of them are in your kitchen right now, and any that aren't are easily found at your local grocery store. Be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
- Chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Olive or another vegetable oil
- Pepper, any color, cored, chopped
- Onion, chopped
- Tomatoes, diced, not drained
- Chicken broth
- Apple juice or white wine
- Dried dill weed
- Sour cream
This is a simple recipe that comes together in a snap. The hardest part is just waiting for the slow cooker to do its thing!
1: Coat the chicken in flour, paprika, and salt.
2: Drizzle the bottom of the slow cooker with olive oil, add all ingredients except the sour cream and stir.
3: Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
4: Stir in sour cream and serve over rice or noodles.
Substitutions and Variations
- This can be made with chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Try using cubed beef or pork chops, as well.
- Add diced jalapenos for a kick of heat and flavor.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large resealable baggie
- Slow cooker
Refrigerator: Store for up to 3 days in an air-tight container.
Freezer: Store for up to a month in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
Reheat: Place in a saucepan and cook on medium-low heat until heated through.
What to Serve with Chicken Paprikash
Chicken paprikash is full of veggies, chicken breasts, and a creamy tomato sauce, so it's a full meal on its own. Serve it over a bed of rice or noodles along with bread and butter, breadsticks, or garlic bread.
- Be sure you drizzle the bottom of your slow cooker with olive oil to ensure nothing sticks.
- Cube your chicken into bite-size pieces for even cooking and easy eating.
- Never add sour cream to boiling or simmer liquids. It will curdle.
Chicken paprikash is a traditional Hungarian chicken dish of chicken breasts, onions, peppers, and a creamy tomato sauce seasoned with various spices, most notably paprika.
Never add sour cream to boiling or simmering liquids. Instead, remove the dish from the heat and add the sour cream when it stops simmering.
Chicken paprikash is delicious served over noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
More Chicken Dishes
Slow Cooker Chicken Paprikash
Slow cooker chicken paprikash takes the classic Hungarian dish of paprika chicken and makes it super easy with the slow cooker!
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pound chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp olive or another vegetable oil
- 1 cup pepper, any color, cored, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 can (14 oz) tomatoes, diced, not drained
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp apple juice or white wine
- 1 tbsp dried dill weed
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Put flour, paprika, and salt in a large ziploc bag. Mix well.
- Add chicken pieces. Shake until all chicken is well coated.
- Drizzle olive oil in the bottom of your crock pot.
- Transfer coated chicken pieces to crock pot.
- Next, add diced peppers and onions.
- Add diced tomatoes, chicken broth, apple juice, and dill weed.
- Stir the contents together and cover.
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Stir in sour cream when done.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
Amount Per Serving Calories 208Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 54mgSodium 407mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 4gSugar 2gProtein 20g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!