The Grouper Reuben Sandwich is the perfect combination of fresh fish, sauerkraut, and cheese. It's a classic sandwich with a twist that you can enjoy any day of the week!
Grouper is a mild white fish, with flakes that are large and flaky. It can be used in any recipe where you would typically use cod or haddock. However, it's also delicious all on its own! If you're looking for something new to try, Grouper Reuben Sandwiches are a must-try.
Grouper is available year-round, but it's best known as a wintertime fish. Back in the day, before refrigeration was common, grouper was so plentiful during the colder months that fisherman would put them in ice to keep them fresh until they returned to port. Since then, the name stuck and grouper has been a popular dinner fish.
This ingredients list for this recipe may seem long but you should have most of these ingredients already on hand. You can get a Grouper Reuben Sandwich from the comfort of your own kitchen in just about 30 minutes!
- grouper filets
- olive oil
- green onions
- red onion
- sweet relish
- rye bread
- Swiss cheese
Making this grouper sandwich is simple to make and tastes so fresh and delicious. And, follow the steps below and your family will enjoy this sandwich also.
Step 1: Place oven rack to about 4" away from the broiler. Preheat broiler to high (550ºF)
Step 2: Place grouper fillets in a greased casserole dish.
Step 3: Prepare the grouper by brushing it with a half tablespoon of oil.
Step 4: Evenly sprinkle salt over filets.
Step 5: Place the casserole dish in the oven.
Step 6: Cook grouper filets for 9 minutes or until fish is opaque and the edges begin to brown. DO NOT FLIP.
Step 7: Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
Step 8: Depending on your preference, you could add more salt or horseradish to alter the flavor.
Step 9: Layer one slice of bread, sauce, cheese, sauerkraut, grouper filet, cheese, sauce, and a second piece of bread.
Step 10: Generously butter the top and bottom of each sandwich.
Step 11: Heat a pan over medium heat.
Step 12: Add sandwiches and grill them on each side for about 2 minutes or until they are golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
You don't need a lot of equipment to make these delicious Grouper Reuben sandwiches. Gather these tools and get ready to blow your own mind with how amazing these sandwiches turn out.
- casserole dish
- mixing bowl
- whisk or spoon
- grill pan or skillet
- Cheese: Switch out the cheese for your favorite type of cheese. Provolone or American would work in this recipe.
- Fish: Can't find grouper in your local store? Any white fish would work in its place.
Looking for ways to change this Grouper Reuben Sandwiches up? Here are some of my favorite suggestions to personalize this recipe.
Bread: Don't like Rye? Switch out the bread to your favorite bread. I used rye to keep the sandwich like a traditional Reuben.
Tomatoes: Want to give this recipe a more fresh taste? Add tomatoes or even sliced onions to your sandwich.
- If you are not a fan of sauerkrat, coleslaw is a great substitute.
- If you want to skip making your own dressing you can use Thousand Island dressing instead of the homemade
- I like to toast my rye bread lightly before assembling the sandwich for extra crunch and flavor.
- When I'm feeling fancy, I like to use sauerkraut that has been slightly caramelized. If you have time, this is the way to go!
More Delicious Recipes
Do you have questions about this Grouper Reuben Sandwich recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Yes, you can use frozen grouper however you will need to adjust your cooking time by adding an additional 3 to 5 minutes.
Yes! You can cook your grouper in a skillet instead of the oven. Just make sure to use a little oil and watch your grouper closely so that it doesn't burn.
No, these two dressings are not the same however they do taste slightly similar.
Grouper Reuben Sandwich
Ready to cook this Grouper Reuben Sandwich then print the recipe card below.
- Grouper Ingredients:
- 2 - 4 ounce grouper filets
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Sauce Ingredients
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄8 cup red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons sweet relish
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- Reuben Ingredients
- 4 slices rye bread
- 1⁄2 cup sauerkraut
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Place oven rack to about 4" away from the broiler. Preheat broiler to high (550ºF)
- Place grouper fillets in a greased casserole dish.
- Prepare the grouper by brushing it with a half tablespoon of oil.
- Evenly sprinkle salt over filets.
- Place the casserole dish in the oven.
- Cook grouper filets for 9 minutes or until fish is opaque and the edges begin to brown. DO NOT FLIP.
- Sauce Instructions:
- Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Depending on your preference, you could add more salt or horseradish to alter the flavor.
- Assembly Instructions
- Layer one slice of bread, sauce, cheese, sauerkraut, grouper filet, cheese, sauce, and the second piece of bread.
- Generously butter the top and bottom of each sandwich.
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Add sandwiches and grill them on each side for about 2 minutes or until they are golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 1401Total Fat 89gSaturated Fat 35gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 46gCholesterol 287mgSodium 3648mgCarbohydrates 58gFiber 8gSugar 18gProtein 89g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!