Chicken rigatoni carbonara is an easy, delcious pasta dish the whole family will love. Tender chicken, vegetables, noodles, and cheese make a super flavorful dinner.
I love combining pasta and chicken, and normally, I do it with a creamy sauce. This time, around, I wanted to try something different. That’s why I put together this carbonara pasta recipe with chicken. It’s amazing. Although the ingredients are simple, there’s a terrific depth of flavor to this dish, and everyone who’s had it absolutely loves it.
This dish may be a full meal on its own, but it’s even better when you pair it with a nice salad and some delicious dinner rolls.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s a simple recipe that’s rustic and delicious.
- It’s loaded with Italian flavors and vegetables.
- It’s filling and satisfying.
- It’s a healthy dish that everyone loves.
Rigatoni Carbonara Ingredients
This recipe uses simple ingredients that you can find easily at your local grocery store. You probably already have many of them in your kitchen right now.
- Chopped bacon
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Green peppers
- Red peppers
- Parmesan cheese
- Chicken broth
The above ingredients are what give this recipe all its great flavor. You’ll find the full ingredient list along with amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
How to Make Rigatoni Carbonara
There are a few steps to this recipe, but they’re all very easy when you break them down. I’m covering all the major points below. For the full instructions, see the recipe card at the end of the post.
1: Cook the pasta according to the package direction for al dente and reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
2: Cook the bacon until crispy and transfer to a plate.
3: Reserve some bacon grease and cook the chicken in it until it’s no longer pink. Set aside.
4: Add the mushroom and onions to the skillet and cook until tender.
5: Add the remaining vegetables and broth and simmer until it thickens.
6: Whisk the eggs and cheese together in a large pot, then slowly add the skillet mixture.
7: Add the pasta, chicken, and bacon to the pot and stir until coated.
8: Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
- Turkey and pork work well with this recipe.
- You can use any short noodles you like in this dish.
- Pancetta is a delicious alternative to bacon.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
Refrigerator: Store this in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Freezer: For longer storage, freeze in an air-tight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Reheat: Place the rigatoni carbonara in a baking dish with a bit of water or broth. Bake covered at 350 until heated through.
What to Serve with Rigatoni Carbonara
This delicious pasta dish is a complete meal all on its own, but that doesn’t mean you should serve it all by its lonesome. A side salad and rolls make a great meal. You might also consider the following ideas.
- Garlic bread or breadsticks
- Creamy broccoli salad makes a delicious side and is loaded with taste and texture.
- Creamy grape salad or grilled pears also make a great dessert to pair with this pasta dish.
- Add the veggie mixture to the egg and cheese mixture slowly to avoid scrambling the eggs.
- The bacon grease adds a ton of flavor to your chicken and vegetables, so be sure you use it.
- Never cook your pasta past al dente. You don’t want it mushy.
It’s any pasta dish made with eggs, hard cheese, black pepper, and cured pork like bacon or pancetta.
Bacon grease is perfect for cooking in place of butter. Make eggs, brown meats, and more with it. It solidifies when refrigerated, so it can even be used in place of butter in things like biscuits.
Al dente is the reigning kind of pasta texture. Pasta cooked to al dente will be soft but still have a firmness or “bite” to it.
More Pasta Recipes
More Pasta Recipes You’ll Love
Ready to cook this recipe? Then print the recipe card below.
- 1 pound bacon, chopped
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ diced green peppers
- ½ diced red peppers
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta, prepared according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Prepare pasta of your choice according to package directions. Reserve ½ cup of cooking water. Drain pasta and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crispy. Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towel. Set aside.
- Pour some bacon grease out of pan and into a small bowl, leaving 2 tablespoons in the skillet.
- Heat grease until it shimmers or a drop of water flicked in it dances.
- Place chicken in heated grease. Salt and pepper it.
- Cook chicken in bacon grease until it is no longer pink inside. This will take about 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate lined with paper towel. Set aside.
- Add mushrooms and onions to skillet. Cook until tender. Add more bacon fat if you need to.
- Next, add garlic, parsley, carrots, and peppers. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth and simmer until it thickens. This will only take a few minutes.
- In a large pot, whisk eggs and cheese together.
- Slowly pour skillet mixture into egg mixture.
- Add pasta, chicken and bacon to the pot.
- Toss until well-coated.
- Add reserved pasta water, if needed, to thin the sauce.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 912Total Fat 46gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 358mgSodium 2346mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 4gSugar 4gProtein 79g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!