Unicorn Sugar Cookies are soft, simple, and sensational. They are easy to make and are a delicious, colorful treat that everyone will love!
Colorful Sugar Cookies
Are you ready to party? These fun, colorful sugar cookies are so easy to make and will literally disappear because they are SO delicious! And if you love tasty desserts, you should also check out my No-Bake Cookie Dough Bites!Spring is a beautiful time of the year. Here in Wisconsin, I get the pleasure of watching the snow disappear, being replaced with flocks of geese, green grass, and new budding flowers. While the weather has been warming up, I have to admit that this has been a spring like no other.
Our country is currently living through historical times. The infamous Coronavirus has been sweeping our land and effecting each and every American. As a teacher, I was given just days to figure out how I was going to continue educating my students in their homes instead of our classroom. My husband's successful tattoo shop has been temporarily closed, we can only go to the grocery store for essential items, and I have four children around the kitchen table each day, doing their best to continue their own educations.
Something that seems nearly impossible quickly became reality for all of us. So, to try to keep things somewhat normal, I have regularly been firing up the oven so we can enjoy some sweet treats. After all, if I get to have my kiddos home with me, there is nothing better than hanging out in kitchen, creating something delicious.
My Unicorn Sugar Cookies quickly became a hit. They are so easy to make, and let's be honest, they are gorgeous! Check out the recipe below and enjoy!
Ingredients for Simple Colorful Sugar Cookies
- baking powder
- baking soda
- vegetable shortening
- food coloring
How do I make Unicorn Sugar Cookies
To get things started, preheat your oven to 350˚F.
Grab a medium mixing bowl and add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk them together well and set it aside for later.
Next, in a large mixing bowl, beat shortening and 1 cup of sugar together until it is nice and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat again until everything is mixed well.
Now it is time to add the flour mixture. Mix it until it is uniform.
Are you ready for some color? Separate the dough equally into four bowls and add 3 drops of food coloring to each bowl. Mix well. If you desire a richer color, just add a few more drops.
This is where things get fun. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls. You can do all one color or you can combine multiple colors to create some exciting cookies. We decided to do some of each.
Next, put about 1/4 cup of sugar in a small bowl and roll each dough ball in the sugar.
Place balls 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until the tops begin to crack.
Can’t get enough sweets? Check out more of my favorites!
- Patriotic Jello Poke Cake
- Caramel Crush Bars
- 2-Ingredient 7UP Cake with Cream Cheese 7UP Icing
- Homemade Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Red White and Blue Cake Mix Cookies
- Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Homemade Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Easy & Delicious Pumpkin Bars
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening and 1 cup sugar together.
- Next, add the egg and vanilla and beat again.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until uniform.
- Separate dough into four equal bowls.
- Add 3 drops of food coloring to each bowl and mix well. Add more coloring if you desire a richer color.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls. You can do all one color or you can combine multiple colors to create some exciting cookies.
- Put remaining sugar (1/4 cup) in a small bowl. Roll each dough ball in the sugar.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the tops begin to crack.
Amount Per Serving Calories 159Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 13mgSodium 72mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 0gSugar 10gProtein 1g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!