This delicious bacon and cheese leftover mashed potato patties is the best way you'll ever use leftover mashed potatoes. They're loaded with bacon, onions, and cheese, then pan-fried until golden and crispy on the outside. Yum!
I make mashed potatoes quite a bit. It's a classic that the family always loves. And while we love leftover mashed potatoes, after a while they can become so boring. That's why I love this mashed potato patties recipe. It's a fun way to stretch my mashed potatoes and add a ton of flavor.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It uses a few basic ingredients that are in your kitchen right now.
- It's loaded with bacon, cheese, and onions.
- It's crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside.
- It's a fantastic way to use up leftover mashed potatoes.
Be sure you add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan and come up the sides of the patties a bit when frying them.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe, and the best part is that they're probably all in your kitchen right this second! Anything you don't have can be found at your local grocery store in just minutes. Be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
- Leftover mashed potatoes
- Shredded cheese
- Cooked bacon, chopped
- Crispy fried onions, crushed
- Large egg
- All-purpose flour, plus ¾ cup
- Vegetable oil
Making this recipe is as simple as gathering up the ingredients. The entire process is mostly just a matter of mixing and frying. That's it!
1: Mix all the ingredients together and form into thick patties.
2: Dredge in flour, then pan fry until golden brown and crispy.
Substitutions and Variations
- Use your favorite cheese in this recipe.
- Add diced jalapenos for a spicy kick of flavor.
- Use more oil and a deep skillet to deep fry these potato patties.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Deep skillet or pan
Refrigerator: Store for up to 3 days in an air-tight container.
Freezer: Chill and wrap in plastic wrap. Then, freeze for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
Make Ahead: These are best when served freshly fried from the skillet.
What to Serve with this Mashed Potato Patties Recipe
This delicious mashed potato patties recipe makes a great side with any of your favorite beef, pork, or chicken recipes. They're also fantastic topped with sour cream or even ketchup!
- Crush the crispy onions into small pieces, not fine pieces or powder.
- Be sure your oil is nice and hot before frying so the potatoes get crispy, not soggy.
- Gently tap the patties after dredging them in flour for the perfect amount of coating.
Mashed potato patties are "burgers" made by combining mashed potatoes and other ingredients including a binder of some sort and egg, then frying them until golden.
Potato patties, also called latkes, were invented in Eastern Europe in the mid 1800s when crop failures in Poland and the Ukraine led to the mass planting of potatoes.
Be sure your patties aren't too wet and that you've used an adequate amount of binder.
More Amazing Side Dishes
- 4 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 10 slices bacon
- ¾ cup crispy fried onions, crushed
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour, plus ¾ cup
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- OPTIONAL: serve with sour cream and sliced green onions
- Chop and cook the bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat. When done, place on a plate lined with paper towel.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed potatoes, shredded cheese, bacon, egg, crispy fried onions, and 3 tablespoons of flour.
- Roll 8 balls of the mixture and then flatten into 1 inch thick “burgers.”
- Put the ¾ cup of flour in a bowl and then dredge the burgers in the flour.
- Heat ¼ cup of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Fry the burgers in the oil until each side is brown and crispy which usually takes about 4 minutes. Add more oil if you need to.
- Transfer burgers to a paper towel covered plate. Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped bacon, and green onions.
Amount Per Serving Calories 392Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 53mgSodium 759mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 13g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!