This chicken rice crust pie takes classic chicken and rice and turns it on its head. A rice crust is topped with cheese, a creamy chicken and veggie mix, and even more cheese.
I love chicken and rice. I make it all the time, in fact. But let's face it, it can get boring. That's why I love this variation that turns it into a savory, delicious pie.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It only uses a few simple ingredients.
- It's incredibly easy to make.
- It's a fun and delicious twist on a classic dish.
Press your rice crust mixture firmly into the pie plate before baking so that it doesn't break apart when you cut the dish into slices.
You'll only need a few basic ingredients to make this recipe. You might already have them in your kitchen right now. Anything you don't have is readily available at your local grocery store. The main ingredients are listed here, but you'll find the complete list along with amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
Rice Crust Ingredients:
- Long grain rice, cooked
- Egg, beaten
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Chopped onion
- Sweet bell peppers, chopped
- Minced garlic
- Italian seasoning
- Chicken broth
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- French fried onions
- Shredded cheese
This recipe is incredibly easy to make. Even beginners will have no issues with these simple steps. The highlights are below, but you'll find the exact instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
1: Thoroughly combine the rice, pepper, and eggs.
2: Press the rice into the bottom of the pie plate, top with cheese, and bake until melted.
3: Cook the chicken, then remove it from the pan.
4: Cook the vegetables in the same pan.
5: Stir in Italian seasoning and flour, then add the broth and chicken and simmer until thickened.
6: Add parmesan cheese and stir until melted.
7: Pour the filling into the rice crust, sprinkle with French fried onions, and bake. Then, add shredded cheese and bake until melted.
Substitutions and Variations
- You can make this with chicken thighs, pork, or beef.
- Use your favorite cheese for this recipe.
- For a kick of heat, add diced jalapenos to the vegetable mixture.
- Measuring cups and spoons.
- Pie plate
- Mixing bowl
Refrigerator: Store for up to 3 days in an air-tight container.
Freezer: Store for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
Reheat: Place the pie in the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 325 until heated through.
What to Serve with Chicken and Rice
This is a super-hearty meal all on its own, so I recommend keeping things simple. Try a side salad, crusty bread, or garlic bread with this dish.
- Be sure to press your rice mixture very firmly into the bottom of the pie plate. This will help turn the rice into an actual crust.
- For the best flavor get a nice brown sear on your chicken pieces.
- Stir your chicken and vegetable mixture constantly while thickening it so nothing sticks or burns.
When cooking small cubes of chicken like this, cookig it until it has a nice brown exterior should cook it through. For larger pieces of chicken, use a meat thermometer. When it reads 165 degrees, the chicken is fully cooked.
Dark meat chicken can sometimes have a pinkish hue even when it's fully cooked. As long as your meat thermometer reads 165 degrees, you're good.
You sure can! Chicken thighs, pork, and beef all work well.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Rice Crust Ingredients:
- 3 cups long grain rice, cooked
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese
- Filling Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups chopped boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 ½ cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sweet bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup French fried onions
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- To make crust, in a large bowl, combine cooked rice, pepper, and beaten egg.
- Press rice mixture firmly into a greased 9-inch pie plate, packing it well. Be sure to press it onto the sides also.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over top of rice.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- To prepare your filling, heat a large skillet over medium heat with olive oil in it.
- Add chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Reduce heat to low-medium. Add more olive oil if necessary. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add onions and cook until tender.
- Add peppers and garlic. Continue cooking and stirring for 2 minutes. Do not allow garlic to burn.
- Sprinkle flour and Italian seasoning over mushroom mixture. Stir.
- Add cooked chicken and chicken broth. Stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer mixture for 5 minutes while it thickens.
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir until everything is blended.
- Pour filling into baked rice crust. Level as much as possible.
- Sprinkled French fried onions over top.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add shredded cheese on top. Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes and serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 490Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 107mgSodium 643mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 33g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!