This delicious grilled cheese and egg sandwich takes classic grilled cheese to a new level with the addition of a fried egg. It's the perfect breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack!
I love taking classic grilled cheese sandwiches and toying with them. One of my favorite variations to date is this delicious grilled cheese with a fried egg added to it. The toasted bread, melty cheese, and fried egg work perfectly together!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It only takes a handful of ingredients to make.
- It's an easy recipe that's full of flavor, not work.
- Cheese and eggs are the perfect combination!
Cook your grilled cheese on medium-low heat so your bread doesn't burn while the cheese melts.
It only takes a handful of simple ingredients to make this recipe, and they're all kitchen staples! The main ingredients are listed below, but you'll find the complete ingredient list along with amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Softened butter
- Cheese slices
Aside from frying the eggs, this is a basic grilled cheese, so it's super easy to make. The broad strokes are below, but you can find the complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
1: Fry the eggs sunny side up.
2: Butter one side of the bread and place it in the skillet. Top with cheese and cook until the cheese starts to melt and the bread is toasted.
3: Add 2 eggs to each piece of bread and top with buttered bread. Flip and cook until the other side is toasted.
4: Cut in half and serve.
Substitutions and Variations
- Cheese - Use your favorite cheese slices for these sandwiches.
- Breakfast Sandwich - Add cooked sausage patties along with the eggs for a toasted breakfast sandwich.
- Mayo - Use mayo in place of butter for an extra toasty and tangy grilled cheese.
Refrigerator: Store for up to 5 days in an air-tight container.
Freezer: Store in an air-tight, freezer-safe container for up to 6 weeks.
Reheat: Place the grilled cheese sandwiches on a rimmed baking sheet coated with nonstick spray. Then, bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Reheat frozen grilled cheese in the same way, baking for 12 to 15 minutes and flipping them over halfway through the cooking time.
What to Serve with Grilled Cheese
Of course, you probably think of tomato soup when you think of grilled cheese pairings, but there's so much more you can try. Check out the ideas here in my what to serve with grilled cheese post.
- Be sure your butter is fully softened so it doesn't rip the bread.
- Only use a thin layer of butter. Too much, and your sandwiches will be soggy and greasy.
- Always cook your sandwiches on medium-low heat so the cheese melts just at the same time as the bread is toasted perfectly.
No one knows exactly who made the first grilled cheese, but food historians do know that they're a product of the Great Depression. Families began making them as an affordable meal during the lean times.
Simply take a fork and pop the yolk while you cook the eggs for a fried egg with a solid center.
You used too much butter on the bread before toasting them.
Other Delicious Grilled Cheese Recipes
- 4 slices of bread (I used Oat Nut)
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Cheese slices (enough to cover two slices of bread)
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Spray skillet with cooking spray and crack eggs into it.
- Salt and pepper according to your preference.
- Cook until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Remove eggs from pan.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place two slices of bread, butter-side down, in your heated skillet.
- Cover each piece with cheese.
- Allow to cook on medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.
- Place two fried eggs on top of each sandwich, followed by a slice of bread, butter-side up.
- Flip the sandwiches and continue cooking for 3-5 minutes or until the other slice of bread is golden brown.
- Cut in half and serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 467Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 416mgSodium 777mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 21g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!