This ham and cheese hash brown casserole combines the classic flavors of ham and cheese with shredded potatoes, sour cream, and green onions, creating a hearty, one-dish meal perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Casseroles are the ultimate family meal or party food. They're quick and easy and can feed an absolute army of people. This casserole takes the classic dish and loads it up with the classic flavors of ham and cheese to create a delicious meal that even picky eaters love. Come on, who doesn't love ham and cheese?
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's a one-dish meal, so it's quick and easy with minimal cleanup.
- It's a hearty dish that makes a great dinner or potluck addition.
- It's super easy to make. Who doesn't love that?
- Ham and cheese is a classic combination that everyone loves.
There's no need to defrost your hash browns. In fact, this recipe is designed around using frozen hash browns.
This recipe only takes a few simple ingredients that you can find quickly and easily in your kitchen or at your local grocery store.
All the ingredients you need for this recipe are listed here, but be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
- Shredded frozen hash browns
- Shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Sour cream
- Chopped green onions, reserve some for topping
- Diced ham
Like almost all casseroles, this is an easy recipe that only takes a few minutes of prep and a little baking time. You mix, bake, and enjoy. That's it!
The recipe highlights are here, but check the recipe card at the end of the post for specific instructions and cooking times.
- Combine the casserole ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Transfer to a 9x13 baking dish and top with cheese and green onions.
3: Cover with foil and bake until the potatoes are cooked and the casserole is heated through. Then, remove the foil and bake until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Substitutions and Variations
- You can use cheddar, Colby Jack, cheddar Jack, or another similar cheese for this recipe.
- This casserole is delicious with chicken or ground beef in place of ham.
- Try using crumbled bacon or sausage in place of ham.
- Add a kick of heat with diced jalapenos or some red pepper flakes.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 9x13 baking dish
- Mixing bowl
- Large spoon for mixing
Refrigerator: Store this casserole in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
Freezer: Store this casserole in an air-tight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Reheat: Cover and bake in an oven-safe dish at 350 until heated through.
What to Serve with Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Casserole
With ham, cheese, hash browns, and vegetables, this casserole is a hearty, complete meal all by itself. I like to serve it with simple sides such as bread or a salad. My favorite options are:
- Crusty bread and butter
- Garlic bread
- Garlic knots
- Green salad
- Don't defrost your hash browns. They'll cook perfectly as the casserole bakes.
- Mix the sour cream, eggs, and cheese first to create the liquid base. Then, add the remaining ingredients. This ensures everything mixes evenly.
- Dice your ham into small pieces to get a pop of ham flavor in every bite.
If you defrost your hash browns, they'll overcook in the casserole. Leave the hash browns in the freezer until you're ready to mix them into the casserole, then bake the casserole immediately.
The salty, cured taste of the ham and the bold flavor of cheddar cheese create a flavor profile that activates several different tastebuds.
Absolutely. Simply grab a second casserole dish, double the ingredients, and divide everything evenly between the two.
More Delicious Casseroles
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup chopped green onions, reserve some for topping
- 16 oz diced ham
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup shredded cheese, sour cream, eggs, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add green onions and ham. Mix well.
- Add hash browns. Stir until everything is well-combined.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese and green onions on top. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil and bake for 10 additional minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
Amount Per Serving Calories 279Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 151mgSodium 1066mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 0gSugar 2gProtein 22g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!