This slow cooker Moroccan chicken thighs recipe is a taste of the tropics in every bite! Tender, juicy chicken thighs loaded with spices are cooked in the slow cooker until they're so tender they almost fall apart.
I love chicken. It's so easy to make, so versatile, and so cheap! It's the perfect meat option for a family. I love to get creative with it - to see if I can surprise my kiddos. That's just what I did with this delicious Moroccan chicken thighs recipe. It's absolutely delicious, and everyone loved it.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It uses just a few simple ingredients that you can find at any grocery store.
- It's a super easy slow cooker recipe.
- It's loaded with zesty flavor.
- It's a super affordable recipe!
Shred your chicken while it's nice and hot. It will just pull right apart!
This recipe only uses a few ingredients to create its rich depth of flavor. You can find them all easily in one quick trip to the grocery store. Be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact amounts.
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Shredded carrots
- Medium onion, sliced
- Celery ribs, sliced
- Canned tomatoes, diced and undrained
- Ground cumin
- Ground coriander
- Ground cinnamon
This super easy slow cooker recipe only takes a few minutes of prep, then you just let the slow cooker do its job. That's all there is to it! The highlights are here, but you'll find the exact instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
1: Place the chicken, seasonings, and vegetables in a slow cooker sprayed with nonstick spray.
2: Cook on low until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and extremely tender.
3: Shred the chicken using 2 forks or shredding claws.
4: Stir the chicken back into the veggie mixture in the slow cooker. Enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
- Use boneless skinless chicken breasts if you prefer.
- This can be made with beef or pork, as well.
- Try adding other vegetables to this recipe.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Slow cooker
- Two forks or shredding claws
Refrigerator: Store for up to 3 days in an air-tight container.
Freezer: Store for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag.
Make Ahead: This is best when served fresh from the slow cooker.
Reheat: Place the chicken in a saucepan with a bit of water and cook over medium-low heat until heated through.
What to Serve with Moroccan Chicken Thighs
Serve this shredded Moroccan chicken thighs dish over mashed potatoes, rice, or egg noodles.
- Sprinkle the seasonings directly onto the chicken thighs before adding the other ingredients to ensure the chicken is thoroughly seasoned while still seasoning the vegetable mixture.
- Shred your chicken while it's as hot as safe to handle. Hot meat shreds far more easily than cool meat.
- Give your recipe a good stir after returning the chicken to the slow cooker to ensure everything is well incorporated.
The flavors of Moroccan cooking are influenced by Berber, Andalusi, Mediterranean, and Arab cuisine, creating intensely flavorful dishes.
Chicken thighs have a higher fat content than chicken breasts, making them more tender, juicy, and flavorful.
It's totally safe to put raw chicken in a slow cooker. Slow cookers were designed to cook raw meat.
More Chicken Recipes
- 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 28 oz canned tomatoes, diced and undrained
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- Spray your slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Placed chicken in your greased slow cooker.
- Season chicken with cumin, coriander, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Add the canned tomatoes, celery, onion, and carrots.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or until the chicken is cooked.
- Once cooked, remove chicken from slow cooker and shred using two forks.
- Return the chicken to your slow cooker and stir until combined. Serve chicken and vegetable mixture over rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 212Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 93mgSodium 516mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 4gSugar 4gProtein 32g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!