This classic American burger recipe is pure Americana. It's juicy, tender, and loaded with flavor. It's the classic burger recipe for any potluck, BBQ, or just a weeknight family meal.
There's nothing I love more than hamburgers! Whether they're grilled over hot coals, on a gas grill, or seared on the stovetop, I just love a good, old-fashioned burger, and that's just what you'll get with this recipe!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It only uses a few limited ingredients.
- It's full of all the flavors we love in a classic American burger.
- It's incredibly easy to make.
- It's the perfect addition to any backyard bash, potluck, or weeknight meal.
The easiest way to combine your hamburger mixture is by hand. Just wash your hands thoroughly!
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this classic burger recipe. You'll find everything you need either in your kitchen or at your local grocery store. Be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact amounts.
- Ground beef
- Small onion, diced
- Dijon or yellow mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic powder
- Hamburger buns
This is a super easy recipe that comes together in a snap. It only takes a few simple steps, and you'll be in and out of the kitchen in no time. The highlights can be found here, but check the recipe card at the end of the post for the exact instructions.
1: Combine the burger ingredients in a large bowl and mix until combined.
2: Form into patties and cook until brown on the outside and fully cooked on the inside.
3: Top with your favorite classic American burger toppings and enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
- You can use ground turkey in place of ground beef or a mix of ground beef and ground pork.
- Add a kick of flavor and heat with diced jalapenos in the beef mixture.
- Grill these burgers instead of pan-cooking them if you prefer.
- Cutting board
- Mixing bowl
Refrigerator: Store the burgers in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
Freezer: Store for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
Make Ahead: Make the burgers up to a day in advance, then bring them to room temperature and cook.
Reheat: Microwave at 1-minute intervals until heated through.
What to Serve with Classic American Burgers
These classic American burgers are perfect with your favorite classic sides like:
- Potato chips
- French Fries
- Sweet potato fries
- Onion rings
- Potato wedges
- Corn on the cob
- Baked beans
- Mac and cheese
- Potato salad
- The easiest way to mix the burgers is by hand.
- To prevent shrinkage, press a divot in the center of the burgers with the palm of your hand.
- For an extra-done exterior, sear each side of the burgers on high heat until super brown, then reduce the hit and flip several times until cooked through.
Hamburger patties are believed to have originated in Germany, but an American hamburger takes that patty, puts it on a bun, and tops it with lettuce, tomato, onions, and pickles.
Mix your burger mixture until just combined. Don't overwork it. Shape your patties loosely. Finally, add a divot to the center to prevent shrinkage and keep them from drying out.
It's never a good idea to cook burgers to medium rare. It's unsafe and could result in food poisoning. Always cook your burgers through.
Other Main Course Recipes
- 1 egg
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp dijon or yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- In a large bowl beat egg.
- Add beef, onion, breadcrumbs, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until just incorporated.
- Shape into four ¾ inch thick patties. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Place patties on a preheated grill, on medium-high, or fry in a preheated pan on medium.
- Cook for about 5 minutes per side or until no longer pink inside.
- Place on hamburger buns and add your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
You also have the option of baking the burgers on 375ºF for about 15 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking.
Amount Per Serving Calories 376Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 147mgSodium 765mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 34g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!