These Buffalo chicken zucchini boats make a delicious, unexpected dinner that the whole family will love. Rich, creamy, and zesty Buffalo chicken dip is spooned into zucchini halves and then baked to perfection.
I love Buffalo chicken dip. It's so cheesy and full of just the right amount of heat. And of course, let's not forget all that cream cheese! I'll use any excuse to make it, and with this recipe, that excuse is dinner!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It uses limited ingredients, so you don't have to take a laundry list to the store.
- It's a quick, easy dinner that tastes like game day!
- It's rich and creamy with cream cheese, sour cream, and a kick of Buffalo sauce.
Just enjoy how easy it is! You literally cannot mess up this recipe.
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this recipe. The best part is that most of them are probably in your kitchen right now. Anything you don't have is just a quick trip to the store away. Be sure to check the recipe card for the exact amounts.
- Medium-sized zucchini
- Cream cheese, softened
- Sour cream
- Buffalo sauce, depending on how hot you prefer
- Garlic powder
- Canned chicken
- Chopped green onions
This is an extremely simple recipe to make. The only thing that you could loosely call work about this recipe is cutting the zucchini in half and removing the seeds! The highlights are here, but you'll find the exact instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
1: Prep the zucchini.
2: Combine the Buffalo chicken dip ingredients.
3: Fill the zucchini and bake until golden brown.
Substitutions and Variations
- You can use leftover shredded chicken breast or shredded rotisserie chicken for this recipe.
- For an extra kick of heat and flavor, add diced jalapenos.
- Try mixing in shredded cheddar cheese.
- Try topping your zucchini boats with shredded cheese before baking.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
- Mixing bowl
- Baking sheet
Refrigerator: Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Freezer: These boats will not freeze well.
Reheat: Place the boats in a baking dish, cover loosely with foil, and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes until heated through.
Make Ahead: These zucchini boats reheat very well, however, they're best served fresh from the oven.
What to Serve with Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
These delicious zucchini boats are a full meal on their own. I like to keep things simple and serve them with a side salad or some garlic bread or breadsticks. They would also pair well with a simple soup like tomato or vegetable.
- Always line your baking sheets with foil and spray with nonstick spray for easy cleanup.
- Be careful when removing the seeds. You want to preserve all that delicious zucchini!
- Mix the wet dip ingredients first for a uniform base, then add the chicken and onions.
Buffalo chicken is a chicken dish consisting of chicken and Buffalo sauce, a special hot sauce made by combining cayenne pepper hot sauce and melted butter.
Buffalo chicken dip is a hot dip that combines shredded or cubed cooked chicken with a dressing made with Buffalo sauce, sour cream, and cream cheese.
These boats feature a Buffalo chicken dip filling that combines the flavors of rich, creamy sour cream and cream cheese with the tangy, hot kick of Buffalo sauce. That filling is spooned into zucchini, a mild-flavored vegetable that's perfect for pairing with bold flavors.
Other Zucchini Recipes
- 3 medium sized zucchini
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2-4 tbsp buffalo sauce, depending on how hot you prefer
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 10 oz canned chicken
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise and scoop seeds out. Place them on prepared baking sheet.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sour cream, buffalo sauce, salt, and garlic powder until smooth.
- Add chicken and green onions. Stir until well-combined.
- Spoon mixture into zucchini boats.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tops begin to brown.
Amount Per Serving Calories 212Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 54mgSodium 1185mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 15g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!