Pickled bologna is an easy way to enjoy bologna a little differently. This easy recipe is loaded with smoky bologna, pickled peppers, onions, and hot sauce to create a zingy, tangy pickled flavor you'll love.
I love bologna, and I love pickling pretty much everything. So I decided to put those two loves together and created this delicious pickled bologna. It's a quick and easy recipe that only takes a few minutes, and the flavor is out of this world!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's an easy recipe that anyone can make.
- It takes classic bologna and gives it a major flavor infusion.
- The vinegar and peppers pair perfectly with the smokiness of the bologna.
Give your jar of pickled bologna a good shake every day while pickling it to ensure all the flavors combine well.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe, and most of them are probably in your kitchen right now. Anything you don't have can be easily found at your local grocery store.
All the ingredients are right here, but you'll find the exact amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Ring bologna, sliced
- Pickled peppers, finely chopped (I used sweet cherry peppers)
- Onion, chopped
- Hot sauce (depending on your preference)
- Coarse sea salt
Making this recipe is a snap. It only takes about five minutes to prepare the ingredients, and then you simply wait for 3 days while the bologna pickles. That's it!
The recipe highlights are here, but the exact instructions can be found in the recipe card at the end of the post.
1: Add the bologna to a jar with a lid.
2: Bring the remaining ingredients to a bowl.
3: Pour into the jar and pickle the bologna for 3 days. Enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
- You can use your favorite bologna variety for this recipe.
- Try adding sliced jalapenos for more flavor and heat.
- Your favorite kind of pickled peppers will work in this recipe.
- Saucepan or skillet
- Mason jar
- Measuring cups and spoons
Refrigerator: Store for up to 3 weeks in an air-tight container.
What to Serve with Pickled Bologna
This bologna is great when made into a sandwich in the same way you would sliced bologna. Bread, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomatoes, and onions make a great combo!
- It's best to use a mason jar for this recipe.
- Be sure you bring your pickling ingredients to a boil before pouring them into the jar.
- Give the jar a good shake every day while the bologna pickles to ensure the flavors meld properly.
Pickled bologna is sliced bologna that's packed in a pickling brine.
Pickled bologna has a mildly smoky, briny flavor that can be sweet, hot, or a combination of the two, depending on the recipe.
Pickled bologna will last for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
More Tasty Recipes
- 1 lb ring bologna, sliced
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 tbsp pickled peppers, finely chopped (I used sweet cherry peppers)
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup water
- 1-2 tsp hot sauce (depending on your preference)
- 2 tsp coarse sea salt
- Place sliced bologna in a large sealable jar.
- Put remaining ingredients in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir often and bring to a low boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour hot mixture over bologna slices. Seal the jar and allow to pickle for 3 days, shaking a couple times each day.
Amount Per Serving Calories 157Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 27mgSodium 903mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 0gSugar 3gProtein 7g
Never miss my delicious recipes, cute creations, or household tips!